Copyright/plagerisms

Discussion Area For Poems and Writing

Copyright/plagerisms

Postby Capricorn » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:01 pm

As Becky has brought the subject up, I have been wondering about the writing at the bottom of everyones poems.

All rights reserved to reproduce this poem.......etc.
All rights belong to original author.......etc.

I have been wondering if this counts as an official copyright?

I remember reading on another website some time ago when they were dicussing copyrights and paying to have it done.Also that you can do your own copyright by writing out your poem and posting it to yourself but not opening when it arrives.Therefore, having the postage date it proves that it was you that wrote it on a certain date....if you follow!

Yes complicated! I have never really thought about official copyright as I'm no professional!!....but I would hate to think that someone would use my words or thoughts as their own!....like tearing my heart out!! :(

Wonder how you all feel about this and perhaps Becky could fill us in as to what's written at the end of our poems.
Laughter is better than any medicine the doctor can prescribe.
Capricorn

Postby Seizure » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:05 pm

[REMOVED]
Last edited by Seizure on Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is just a game, not everyone can win
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby Capricorn » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:21 pm

Yes it is complicated I suppose unless its done through official channels, but i think posting on this website would count for a lot.

I know you had a little problem earlier Seizure...don't say there have been others. I don't always know what's going on!! :roll:
Capricorn

Postby Seizure » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:30 pm

[REMOVED]
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby Capricorn » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:43 pm

Hmmmm!! now you've really got me wondering! :roll: :shock: :? have an idea....(probably wrong) must start being more obsevant!
Capricorn

Postby Seizure » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:04 am

[REMOVED]
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby bingholic98 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:45 pm

I just read this .I'm confused. does that mean that when we write something and post it, unless we have it copy righted anybody can use it. :? If so, that's rude our thoughts but somebody else get's the praise. Can somebody explain this :?
bingholic98

Postby Dreamer » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:11 am

Okay my copyright notice:
It basically says that the poem, though I have been given permission to display your poem, it belongs to you and you alone. No one is allowed to use it without your permission. I cannot give permission to copy it or anything. It still belongs to you not me. It covers my butt if someone steals someone else's poems. If you ask me to remove you work I will remove it but don't ask me to post your writings again because I won't. ( I usually give you a couple days to make sure you don't reconsider but will take them off at weekly change over. . It also lets people know I will contact you as a go between if they ask permission to use it. Basically I am protecting your e-mail address from spammers and problem makers. I am a middle man. That is why I insist on working email addresses from my posters so that I can forward any requests.

People who don't keep me updated with current email addresses can run in to more problems with people using their stuff without their permission.

As for copyrighting your poems. Seizure put it pretty much as simple as I could.

Though your browser may not show it , I have the date the poem was submitted to my website on each and every poem. I also save all submissions in a folder for reference incase of problems which of course are also dated on the time of arrival of the submission. This way I can check your date against someone else's who may try to steal your work for their own or there is a question down the line that comes up to original authorship.

I have worked with the webmasters at the other large poetry websites in the past because of issues locating who's poem or writing is who's. We go by this submission date as our basis for deciding ownership of the poem. So having it online is a pretty good way, like Seizure said, to prove your authorship of the writing. But websites crash as do computers. It's not a fool proof 100% method that is permanent.

As for official copyrights. It is a legal document that will at the date of purchase prove by government that on that date the poem was claimed as yours. But say someone else tries to copyright something that belongs to you if you can show or prove that it was yours before that date you would still win in a court of law.
This is where the website would come in with the dates on all the poems and my saving submissions.

Basically a copyright is a paper trail of proof. If you are like me. Most of my stuff is in a diary type book. With entries before and after. This also can be used as evidence if you date things and keep them in order. If it comes to that.. ( It usually doesn't. )

Putting them in a file on your computer will not work as setting the clock back can change file dates made on your computer so that wouldn't work in court (again .. if it comes to that)

I have used the send it registered mail to myself method in the past on some of my music. The post office seal will work if done properly long as it isn't opened when you receive it. Once opened it is a worthless method as well. So if you decide to use that method only use it for one poem, writing or song at a time.

here is something I used to do back when the website was young that you might do to make sure no one has stolen your work, online anyway. Go to google.com in the search engine put in search window the most catchy lines of your poem the ones if someone was to steal they wouldn't change. and do a search.. Go through each of your poems. I used to catch people that way. I don't have time to look out for everyone that way any more.

Another way I used to catch people was knowing my poets. People write in a style.
For instance I could easily recognize a barb poem from a capricorn poem or a seizure from a luc. If I get a new poet I watch their first few poems. If their style varies too much to me they are suspect for problems and I will do a search. And yes this method has worked for me on more than one occasion. Unfortunately with a growing site it gets harder for me to have the time to do this sort of stuff. So you have to look out for yourselves a bit more.

Your best bet is to occasionally use the Google method I mentioned to search for your writings being duplicated.

If you find someone has used your work:
Contact the webmaster of the site tell him who you are your poems address and the other one. inform him/her and let me know also of what is going on in a professional manner. This way we can probably clear the problem up easily.

Don't just jump on the alleged poet about the problem or they might just try to hide. It better to let the webmasters figure it out as it is less emotional for us to deal reasonably and with facts. We deal with it more often then you think and are good at handling it as best we can without a fuss.

I hope that clears things up a bit and doesn't just confuse you all more. If you have any more questions or thoughts I would be happy to try and answer them for you.

-Becky
Dreamer
Site Admin

Postby Seizure » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:48 am

[REMOVED]
-Seizure
Seizure

Postby Capricorn » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:24 pm

Thanks Becky for yourdetailed answer, it was a eye opener!! :shock: I had no idea that so much plagierism was going on, and also all the work that goes on back-stage ,so to speak. I always knew your worked hard for us, but was unaware of some details. Thankyou!! :D

Although I post most of my poems here at Dreamers Reality, I have posted a few favourites on another site,for critique....just for fun!!....well I am a rebel now! (if you read that poem) However, I have always posted using the same username, Capricorn...and of course same e.mail number, so that people could not say I was a different person, stealing poems! I hope that does not cause problems, as my poems are always posted here first....this is my poetry home, other places I'm just visiting....but I will keep my eyes open more now you have warned us.

I feel it is so sad that people have to be so devious to get a poem acknowleged, to me the joy of writing is to actually express my feelings in my own words...it would be weird to use somebody elses...but then I suppose life has all sorts!!
Capricorn

Next

Return to Poems and Writings